Applying to Design Discovery
To apply for the Design Discovery program, please submit the following required materials:
- An essay (500 words max) that describes a particularly satisfying project you have undertaken. This project need not be related to design or planning, although this is preferable. You might, for example, write about participating in a political campaign, mastering a musical instrument, doing research on a special topic, or organizing a social event.
- A resume or CV which includes the following information: employment; education; extra-curricular collegiate and community activities (note whether an office held was elected or appointed); honors; awards; professional registration; professional societies; publications; avocations; hobbies; travel. If you served in the military, indicate rank on entry and rank on separation.
- Transcripts should be submitted online by the applicant and are required from all colleges and universities from which the applicant has received credit. When uploading a transcript, please make sure the scanned version is legible. Transcripts that are not in English must be accompanied by a certified English translation. If the university or college does not issue transcripts, a certified letter and certified English translation must be provided. It should list courses and examinations taken, grades, and degrees and dates of degrees received. Admitted students who have attended a school outside of the U.S. may be asked to submit a WES (World Education Service) certified transcript, at the applicant’s expense.
- A non-refundable $80 application fee is due upon application submission.
- International students have additional requirements, including an English Proficiency Test.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis beginning in January. Applications will continue to be reviewed until all spots are filled. Early submissions are strongly encouraged.
|Online Application Opens||December 3, 2018|
|Online Application Deadline for Domestic and Current Student Visa Holders||May 24, 2019|
|International Applicant Deadline*||April 1, 2019|
|Financial Aid Application Deadline||May 1, 2019|
|Registration/Payment Deadline||Within two weeks following admission|
|Cancellation Deadline for Full (100%) Refund*||June 14, 2019|
|Withdrawal Deadline for Partial Refund***||June 25, 2019|
*Due to visa restrictions, placement in the program cannot be guaranteed to international applicants after April 1, 2019.
**Contact Design Discovery to cancel your enrollment by this date to receive a full (100%) refund of the $3,800 program fee and housing charge of $1,900 (if applicable).
***Contact Design Discovery to cancel your enrollment by this date to receive a partial (50%) refund of the program fee (amounting to $1,900). However, the housing charge of $1,900 (if applicable) will not be refunded.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How will I be notified of the admissions decision?
A: Once decisions have been made, you will receive an email notifying you of an update to your application.
Q: Is it possible to defer?
A: No, the Design Discovery program does not grant deferrals. If you are admitted but unable to attend, you would need to reapply.
Q: I’ve applied before. Can you reactivate my previous application?
A: No. Any former applicant wishing to reapply to the GSD Design Discovery Program must resubmit all forms and documentation.